LACTULOSE (DUPHALAC®) REFERENCES
1. Connolly P, Hughes IW, Ryan G. Comparison of ‘Duphalac’ and ‘irritant’ laxatives during and after treatment of chronic constipation: a preliminary study. Curr Med Res Opin. 1975;2(10):620-625.
2. Schuster-Wolff-Bühring R, Fischerac L, Hinrichsab J. Production and physiological action of the disaccharide lactulose. Int Dairy J. 2010;20(11):731-741.
3. Schumann C. Medical, nutritional and technological properties of lactulose. An update. Eur J Nutr 2002; 41(1): 17-25.
4. Lactulose Company Core Data Sheet. Abbott. May 2019.
5. IQVIA MIDAS database Q9 2018 Release.
6. 18th Periodic Safety Update Report (PSUR) Lactulose. Abbott. August 2019.
7. Duphaplus Core Label. Abbott. August 2019.
8. NHS Inform. Constipation. Preventing constipation. https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/stomach-liver-and-gastrointestinal-tract/constipation#preventing-constipation. Last accessed November 2019.
9. Werth BL, Williams KA, Fisher MJ et al. Defining constipation to estimate its prevalence in the community: results from a national survey. BMC Gastroenterology. 2019;19(75):1-7.
10. Gibson GR Hutkins R Sanders ME et al. The International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics (ISAPP) consensus statement on the definition and scope of prebiotics. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 2017;14:491-502.
11. Gallegos-Orozco JF, et al. Chronic constipation in the elderly. Am J Gastroenterol. 2012;107:18–25.
12. Mugie SM, et al. Epidemiology of constipation in children and adults: A systematic review. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2011 Feb;25(1):3-18.
13. National Health Service UK. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lactose-intolerance/. Last accessed November 2019.
14. National Health Service UK. Lactulose. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/lactulose/#. Last accessed November 2019.
15. Cullen G, O’Donoghue D. Constipation and pregnancy. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2007; 21(5): 807-18
16. Bradley CS, Kennedy CM, Turcea AM et al. Constipation in pregnancy: prevalence, symptoms and risk factors. Obstet Gynecol 2007; 110(6): 1351-7.
17. Leung AK, Chan P, Cho H. Constipation in Children. Am Fam Physician 1996;54(2): 611-8
18. Pranami D, Sharma R, Pathak H. Lactulose: a prebiotic, laxative and detoxifying agent. Drugs Ther Perspect 2017; 33: 228-33.
19. Duphaplus® Core Label. Abbott. 21st August 2019 (first issuance).
20. Information from your family Doctor. Constipation. Am Fam Physician. 2010; 15:82(12):1440-1441.
21. NHS. Constipation. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/constipation/. Last accessed November 2019.
22. Lewis SJ, et al. Stool form scale as a useful guide to intestinal transit time. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1997 Sep;32(9):920-4.
23. Devanarayana, NM and Rajindrajith S, Association between Constipation and Stressful Life Events in a Cohort of Sri Lankan Children and Adolescents. J Trop Ped. 2010;56(3):144-8.
24. NHS. How to deal with stress. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/understanding-stress/. Last accessed October 2019.
25. Healthy bowel guide: Information for patients. Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust. April 2015. Available at: https://www.cnwl.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/Healthy_Bowel-_Patient_Information_leaflet.pdf Last accessed November2019.
26. Arnaud MJ. Mild dehydration: a risk factor of constipation? Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003;57(2):S88-S95
27. Hayat U, et al. Chronic constipation: Update on management. Clev Clin J Med. 2017;84(5):397-408
28. Tabbers MM, DiLorenzo C, Berger MY et al. Evaluation and Treatment of Functional Constipation in Infants and Children: Evidence-Based Recommendations From ESPGHAN and NASPGHAN. JPGN. 2014;58: 258-74.
29. Rajindrajith S, Devanarayana NM, Constipation in Children: Novel Insight Into Epidemiology, Pathophysiology and Management. J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011;17(1):35-47.
30. NHS. Constipation in young children. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/constipation-and-soiling/. Last accessed November 2019.
31. Body C, Christie JA. Gastrointestinal Diseases in Pregnancy: Nausea, Vomiting, Hyperemesis Gravidarum, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Constipation, and Diarrhea. Gastroenterol Clin N Am. 2016;45(2):267-83
32. Lindberg G, et al. World Gastroenterology Organisation global guideline: Constipation-a global perspective. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2011;45(6):483-7.
33. NHS. Laxatives. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/laxatives/. Last accessed November 2019.
34. Trottier M, Erebara A, Bozzo P. Treating constipation during pregnancy. Canadian Family Physician. 2012; 58(8): 836-8.
35. Hejl M, Kamper J, Ebbesen F et al. Infantile constipation and Allomin-lactulose. Treatment of constipation in infants fed with breast-milk substitutes. A controlled clinical investigation of 2% and 4% Allomin-lactulose. Ugeskr Laeger 1990; 152: 1819-22.
36. NHS Live Well. How to get more fibre into your diet. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/how-to-get-more-fibre-into-your-diet/. Last accessed November 2019.
37. NHS. Get fit for free. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/free-fitness-ideas/. Last accessed November 2019.
38. Lacy BE, et al. Bowel disorders. Gastroenterology. 2016;150:1393–1407.
39. Constipation, Mayo Clinic, Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases conditions/constipation/symptoms-causes/syc-20354253. Last accessed November 2019.
40. Forootan M, Bagheri N, Darvishi M. Chronic constipation – A review of literature. Medicine. 2018; 97:20(e10631).
41. Padhy SK, Sahoo S, Mahajan S et al. Irritable bowel syndrome: Is it “irritable brain” or “irritable bowel”?. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2015 Oct-Dec; 6(4): 568–577.
42. Hadhazy A. Think Twice: How the Gut’s “Second Brain” Influences Mood and Well-Being. Scientific American. Available at https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/. Last accessed November 2019
43. Mayer EA. Gut feelings: the emerging biology of gut–brain communication. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2011; 12(8): 10.1038/nrn3071.
44. Komaro AL. The gut-brain connection. Available at: https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/the-gut-brain-connection. Last accessed November 2019.
45. Woodyard C. Exploring the therapeutic effects of yoga and its ability to increase quality of life. Int J Yoga. 2011; 4(2): 49-54.
46. Top 7 Yoga Poses for Constipation Relief. The Yoga Institute. Available at: https://theyogainstitute.org/top-7-yoga-poses-for-constipation-relief/ . Last accessed November 2019.
47. Karakan T, Tuohy KM and Janssen-van Solingen G (2021) Low-Dose Lactulose as a Prebiotic for Improved Gut Health and Enhanced Mineral Absorption. Front. Nutr. 8:672925. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2021.672925
48. Tabbers, M et.al. Evaluation and Treatment of Functional Constipation in Infants and Children: Evidence-Based Recommendations From ESPGHAN and NASPGHAN. JPGN 2014;58: 258–274
49. Cao, Y et.al. Lactulose for the treatment of Chinese children with chronic constipation. Medicine (2018) 97:52(e13794)
50. Sanders JF, et.al. Lactulose syrup assessed in a double-blind study of elderly constipated patients. J Am Geriat Soc 1978; 26: 236–239.